Charlie Hebdo French satirical newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, bombed for publishing cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

An edition of satirical French magazine "Charlie Hebdo" due to be published on November 2 was to feature cartoons depicting the Muslim prophet Muhammad.

A Molotov cocktail destroyed the Parisian headquarters of French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, which published today an edition spoofing Shariah law. The weekly’s Web site was also hacked.

There was no delay in the response.

FRANCE hebdo Reut 543 French satirical newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, bombed for publishing cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

Police stand in front of the destroyed offices of the French magazine Charlie Hebdo, which was firebombed soon after publishing the controversial issue. - Reuters Photo

Just two days after an announcement made by the satirical weekly magazine Charlie Hebdo that it would soon publish a special edition entitled “Charia Hebdo” (a pun on the French word for Shariah law, charia) with the Prophet Muhammad listed as guest editor-in-chief, the Parisian headquarters of the magazine were destroyed by a fire.

The office, which is centrally located in Paris, appeared to have been attacked by a Molotov cocktail sometime early Wednesday morning.

There were no injuries in the fire, but “everything that we use to publish the paper has been burned” said Stéphane Charbonnier, who goes by “Charb” and is the newspaper’s designer and director.

The newspaper’s Web site was also hacked. As of Wednesday morning, the home page showed an image of the Grand Mosque in Mecca accompanied by the phrase “No god but Allah.”

There was also a message written in Turkish and English stating “For Islam” and denouncing the use of the Prophet’s image, which is against Muslim beliefs.

For Charb, there is no question of the reason for these attacks: they are retaliation to the “Charia Hebdo” publication announced on Monday.

The satirical newspaper envisaged this edition in reaction to the victory of the Islamist party Ennahda in Tunisia last week as well as the proclamation of Islamic law in Libya.

“We received threats, but no one had seen this edition,” Charb said after the fire. “People reacted violently to the paper yet they were completely ignorant of the edition’s contents; that is what is the most aberrant and the most idiotic.”

“Despite everything, the ‘Charia Hebdo’ will still be on newsstands [today],” he said.

Patrick Pelloux, a Charlie Hebdo columnist and emergency room doctor, agreed.

“It isn’t an anti-Muslim newspaper [but] a newspaper that says we can laugh at everything,” he said. “It is the best proof of liberty and democracy.”

“100 Lashes if You Don’t Die Laughing!”

The front page of the newspaper, unveiled Monday, shows a design representing a visibly happy Prophet Muhammad and the words “100 lashes if you don’t die laughing!”

This edition also includes an “editorial from Muhammad” entitled “Halal Happy Hour,” a two-page spread of cartoons explaining “la charia molle” and a supplement entitled “Charia Madame.” On the last page, which is entitled “Coverage You Have Missed,” a carton depicts Prophet Muhammad wearing a red clown’s nose with the captioon “Yes, Islam is compatible with humor.”

Since Monday, when the front page began to circulate on social networks, this edition has incited numerous comments.

Many critics responded on Twitter, accusing the newspaper of provocation.

“We don’t feel that we did any supplementary provocation,” said the director of the publication. “We simply felt as if we were doing our work as usual. The only difference is that this week, we are talking about Muhammad, which is a pretty rare subject to cover.”

Charlie Hebdo appeared before a tribunal to respond to caricatures of Prophet Muhammad published in February 2006. These caricatures were considered insulting by several Islamic organizations.

French courts discharged the paper, but the publication of these cartoons in Danish newspapers as well as across Europe spurred violent protests in a number of Muslim countries. Kurt Westergaard, the cartoonist of the most controversial caricature, was the subject of an attack by an intruder armed with an ax.

Via Le Figaro: Firebomb Targets French Journal Spoofing Muhammad

This entry was posted in Humor, Media, Religion. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to French satirical newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, bombed for publishing cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

1. Onur Kahraman says:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Onur Kahraman and I’m a muslim Turkish man. Everybody knows the rude film which has been made by Sam Bacile.
    This film really aroused the muslims. We are so sorry for the people which has been killed becouse of that film’s effect. We muslims are against that frenzy. Nobody and no religion can explain the cause of killing someone. At the rules of the Islam, Christianity and Judaism this rule is clearly specified;

“Nobody can terminate the life of the others. This life has been presented to us by empyreal God, and only God can terminate it.”.

This is the common belief of us. We have to live, think and move remembering this rule.

Sadly I have just read a new that on your magazine will exist a caricature of our prophet Muhammed..
    We muslims are accepting all prophets and we believe in them too. Like Muhammed, Jesus and Moses are also our prophets and we respect them too. I am sure that, there are lots of christians and jewishes which don’t know the lifes of Jesus and Moses, and don’t believe in them like muslims. We respect them because we believe in them.

You can not respect to millions of things, but respect to a religion is a obligatory rule of humanity.
    For example, we don’t believe in Budism, but we respect them.

According to you, is it true to draw a caricature of any prophet of any religion? And is it true to publish it at this sensitive period of our world?

We have to respect to your religion and also you have to respect mine. Because of this, you don’t have to draw my prophet with a red clown nose or biding to flaggelate.

Muhammed didn’t bid to flaggelate for any time. This is a whole lie.

Belittling and disparaging a prophet of a religion can’t be a piece of “latitude of thought”.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best regards,

Onur KAHRAMAN

• Juke K says:

I was born into a Muslim country and was told I was a muslim at school and was attempted to be assimilated.
      I am brown skinned and from around your area of the globe, Muslim, Turkish man.
      Every time I am back in my country of birth, I see what Islam has done and still does to my country of Birth.
      I always blamed the rulers as corrupt and unIslamic, but I see no where on this earth Islam has not touched without fear and oppression.
      I see people forced under veils and friends arrested, beat and sometimes whipped drinking or doing what humans like to do. All of which God made possible and provided.

I cannot express the joy in my heart watching Muslims freakout against Humor and the Internet. You cannot Whip, Beat, Knife, Torcher, Blow up or behead the Internet. Cry your guts out. Scream, set things on fire if you like. All you do is shame yourselves and which ever God you boast you represent.

Your religion, (like the hundreds of others on this world) is no excuse to silence freedom of expression and speech. If your God wanted, he would deal with it. He does not. Who are you but cochroach (like me) on this earth trying to make sense of the brillance and majesty of existence and the universe?

I am not an Atheist. I believe in a God but to him I show more respect than you, than to put some pissing, shitting, farting HUMAN on a throne and compare him with God.
      I think any book that even attempts to claim to speak on behalf of God is blasphemy as I have seen past your book and the world is a wondrous place.

You are Muslim? Fantastic! But do not dare say Freedom of expression does not grant me the right to say Fuck You and Fuck Your Prophet & The horse he rode in on. That is the power of speech MY GOD gave me. Asshole.
      Please feel free to depart this world if this bothers you. You will not be missed.
      And remember, if your religion is worth dieing for, start with yourself.

• zaina says:

As said by you “Every time I am back in my country of birth, I see what Islam has done and still does to my country of Birth”. It means you have a bad eye sight. You see what has happened to your country and not what your country has done–how your country has bombarded others. Lets take America and believe that Osama was behind the attacks. What is astonishing is that America being the most powerful nation killed trillions of people just for a single man___how ehcal Wow. Im impressed. I can only say Power corrupts but absolute power corrupts absolutely.
        Muslims are provoked. They burn cars, buildings etc beacuse they know that their voice will not be heard by the corrupt leaders if they speak politely. We have greedy leaders who think only about themselves. It is also they who provoke muslims to react like this. I would say if we burn cars to show our anger , you bombard. Its one and the same thing. You are no less pious than us.
        As said by you “I cannot express the joy in my heart watching Muslims freakout against Humor and the Internet.” Thanks for this sentence. You can play a role of a vamp in movies. I even cry for the death of my enemies or if i come to know that they are hurt. If as you say you see people forced under veils to do many things____then it means you do not see properly. The world is divided between good and evil. Even in the West people are forced to do things in their own way. The parents force their children out at the age of sixteen or so to earn and as a result parents are forced sent to old homes by their very own children. Drinking, flirting, running naked in the streets is all that you call the 21st century____or the animal way of life and being as free as an animal.
        As said by you “Your religion, (like the hundreds of others on this world) is no excuse to silence freedom of expression and speech. If your God wanted, he would deal with it. He does not”. My dear you donot know religion at all. Let alone Islam, you donot know even Christianity. This world is not permanent and is a test from God. he has given us free will to choose between right and wrong. If he would make the whole world a Muslim, then what would be the purpose of the examination. The day of Judgement would be the result day honey.
        And my dear Atheist we never ever consider our Prophet in place of God. It is written on the second page of the Holy Quran that a muslim can only be a muslim if he “believe in what has been sent down towards you, O beloved prophet! And what has been sent down before you (i.e the previous prophets and scriptures)and are convinced of the Last Day.

• Saeed says:

“You can not respect to millions of things, but respect to a religion is a obligatory rule of humanity”

Says who?
      I appreciate the fact that you are trying to reason.
      But to me, its like the Mafia trying to call foul.

Islam is not just a religion. Its a political system that dominates many peoples and landscapes. Some (of us) are FORCED to behave in certain ways or we can pay dearly by violence.
      You can and must be scrutinized.
      Say what you wish about the West and Western mindset. But Freedom Of Expression is an evolved form of freedom that is a human right before any religion (and there are many)
      You cannot expect a non believer to follow your rules, just as they do not expect you to follow theirs. Stick with the laws of your own land and if troubles you, turn off your Internet Connection.

Love Live Humor.

• zaina says:

As said by you”Islam is not just a religion. Its a political system that dominates many peoples and landscapes. Some (of us) are FORCED to behave in certain ways or we can pay dearly by violence”. I would ask what do you think about the christian missionaries spread across the world. Is not this a political system or is it not a system at all. Ofcourse many people are forced to do many things in this world against their will. Its nothing new you are telling. For instance a person getting raped would not want to be raped but is forced to get raped. Many people donot want to do many things but do in order to make their partner or families happy. Thus its everywhere and in every country.
        We do not say that the non beievers should follow our rules but we say if you donot respect yours, atleast respect others. I know you have no culture but others do. Keep that in mind

2. abdulah alsaer says:

O dogs and God does not Euricm Shaw is peace

3. bob level says:

It is a sad day for freedom of speech/expression. There are those that will claim “they deserved it” or “they should have known this would happen”. These extremists do not believe in free speech, unless they are the ones talking. They do not believe in freedom of religion, unless it’s their form of bastardized Islam. They move into a country, then claim the country must change for their beliefs sake. The extremists must be fought before our values become just another footnote to more bloodshed in the name of a deity.

• Jamel says:

I’ll level with you bob ;)

What you say is true.
      My family immigrated to Canada about 20 years ago. It really angers and troubles me when I see immigrants who left their countries for a better life, turn around and attack the foundations of their new sheltering societies.
      It really dims my faith in Humanity.
      To be fair, I think we must agree that a very small number of these people are fanatics – They get the media spot light and we immediately judge them all (even I do).
      However, I think this situation needs a rethink.
      It is difficult to pitch the idea of deportation of rioters in a free society but I think to preserve the essence of a free society, they should be.
      .If they riot, France should not jail them. Deport them. Even if they were born in France, if there is substantial, video evidence, deport them.
      I am troubled my thinking has come to this. I was a peace lover and still am. But it is difficult to reason with someone who thinks they are right and you are an infidel. If there is another possibility, lets explore it. if not, Ship them home.

• zaina says:

My dearest as you say “They move into a country, then claim the country must change for their beliefs sake”. Reallyyyy. What an information. But deary i think it is the contrary. The West and the Christian missionaries love to jump and settle in the east, establish a strong foothold, and if not or they fail ,they bomabard(the most cowardly act). They love to give aid to the under developed or developing countries in order to control them.
      Ohh what did you say “The extremists must be fought before our values”. I would ask what values____Pleaseeee tell me. French kissing , drinking, easily getting naked on the streets, sending parents to old homes, ruined family structure, thinking of venting out frustration in pubs___Ahh this is what you mean. Ok. I understand.
      And as you say “These extremists do not believe in free speech, unless they are the ones talking. They do not believe in freedom of religion, unless it’s their form of bastardized Islam”. No dear we love debating but not provoking. There is a huge difference between these two terms which im sure you wont understand. One can debate on religion. Debating on religion is excellent but provoking a certain community or insulting some ones religion is another thing. It might not be an insult to you but it is to many. And since we live in a global village with different views, it is ethical not to say or do things which hurt others. Though you have used the word “bastardized” for Islam. I would never use it for the Bible. I am taught to respect others. The second page of the Quran stated that one can not be a muslim until and unless he believes in the previous Prophets and scriptures and regard them as Holy. The proof is that a t a time like this, it would be very easy for us to draw the cartoons of Jesus or to make an anti christian film. But we will never ever do it.

4. agung sujud says:

Quel que soit insultes, de calomnies et de discrimination contre le Prophète Muhammad et les musulmans ne diminuera pas l’honneur et la gloire d’Allah Muhammad Allah wa sallam alayhi, des faits historiques ont prouvé l’islam n’a jamais perdu une guerre et même contre-espionnage contre-politique n’apportera pas grand impact qu’elle détruira le leur propre Allahuakbar